Monday, October 8, 2012

Surly: Wet



Brewery: Surly
Beer: Wet
Style: American IPA
ABV:  7.5%
How it was consumer: Firkin

The other day, I finally had an opportunity to make it to a Firkin Friday at Grumpy's downtown, as I was waiting for my wife to get out of work.  I made my way into the establishment, only to find out it was a Surly Beer on tap.

Those who know me and my weird beer preferences know I'm usually not a fan of Surly's beers.  I love that they are local and I love what they've done for the microbrew scene in Minnesota, but I can't get behind a beer that so loaded with hops that it tastes of perfume.

That being said, I said what the hell and decided to give it a go anyways.  Keep in mind the beer had probably been sitting, unchilled, in the firkin for about an hour prior to me getting there.  Usually that'd be strike two right there.

However, I found myself really enjoying this beer.  It has its hops for sure, but it was a delightful blend of wet hops and bittering hops.  This particular beer also uses an English Ale yeast, but tasted almost similar to a Belgian.  It tasted comparable to a lot of other smaller breweries summer ales, but with a unique flavor that tasted good at room temperature. 





I'm glad I got a chance to try one more Surly beer that I enjoy, besides their Brown Ale. I also drank the Summer Ale from Indeed brewery later that night, but still enjoyed my room temperature Surly Wet to the fresh and cold Shennanigans, despite the fact they are similar in style, close in taste and feature a lot of the same ingredients. 

  If you'd like to give this one a try though, better act fast.  The Surly Wet is a seasonal beer.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment