Monday, October 1, 2012

Fulton Brewery: Libertine



Brewery: Fulton Brewery
Beer: Libertine
Style: American Amber/ Red Ale
ABV:  8.5%
How it was consumer:  Take home Growler

It's dangerous working very close to a brewery, especially when they happen to produce one of your favorite beers.  I work in the North Loop in Minneapolis, giving me a chance to grab a growler of Sweet Child of Vine from Fulton basically whenever I feel like it.

Obviously, them introducing (or re-introducing I suppose) a new beer got me excited.  It's kind of like anytime your favorite sports teams get a new player.  I guess I'm comparing my hype to Libertine to AK-47 (T'Wolves), Josh Willingham (Twins) and Zach Parise (Wild). :)

The Libertine is a very elegant Red Ale.  Many I've spoken to, or read from, suggest drinking this beer out of a goblet, rather than the typical pint glass I use with growlers.  I'd also highly suggest drinking this beer cold, as allowing to get warm is suggestible only to those who are used to drinking warm beers.  It's slight smoky flavor may make it harsh for people to drink at room temperature.


There are hints of cherry in the Fulton as well, but nothing potent enough to deter those who do not like fruit in their beer.  Comparing to a Summit Horizon Red Ale, this beer tastes more adult, with more flavor, and definitely more potent, sitting at over 8% ABV. Expect to feel it a bit after having a couple drinks from it.



The Libertine, while not for everyone, is still a great beer. It's certainly not going to pull me away from drinking their Blonde or their IPA, but not a beer I'd say no to if available at my local watering hole.  It's rich flavor, amazing amber color and its smoky after taste make it a good beer to enjoy around the campfire or relaxing at home for a movie night.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment